Warning: DO NOT read this unless you’re interested in incinerating away a ridiculous amount ofBODY FAT! I’m dead set serious! The science is on your side!
So what hell is HIIT, and how does it work?
HIIT is a specialized form of interval training (cardio exercise) that involves short intervals of maximum intensity exercise (hard work likes sprints) followed by longer intervals of low to moderate intensity exercise, or complete rest.
Because it involves briefly pushing yourself beyond the upper end of your aerobic exercise zone, it offers you many advantages that traditional steady-state exercise, or low intensity cardio exercise (where you keep your heart rate within your aerobic zone) doesn’t provide you in the same duration of time invested:
Lets take a look:
- HIIT trains and conditions both your anaerobic (power based) and aerobic energy (traditional cardio) systems. You train your anaerobic system with brief, all-out efforts – yes those sprints, burpees, mountain climbers, frog jumps, and so forth.
- HIIT increases the amount of calories you burn during your exercise session and most importantly after the workout with the “after burn”. How you ask? Well its because it increases the length of time it takes your body to recover from each exercise session. Yes all the metabolic chaos that has taken place needs to be band aided so your immune system and alike go to work turning up the heat and working overt time. This leads to all these extra calories being burnt, yes whilst your sitting down on the couch at home, awesome isn’t it? More fat burning!
- HIIT causes metabolic adaptations that enable you to use more fat as fuel under a variety of conditions. This will improve your athletic endurance as well as your fat-burning And we all like burning body fat don’t we? So if you’re after maximising fat burning, HIIT is your go to!
- HIIT appears to limit muscle loss that can occur with weight loss, in comparison to traditional steady-state cardio exercise of longer duration. Maybe because it’s a power based exercise! It’s all out efforts lead to more muscle being activated, and more muscle activated means more muscle kept. And more calories burnt. Yes your improving your metabolism! Cool J
- To get the most bangs for buck out of your HIIT sessions, you need to push yourself past the upper end of your cardio fitness and allow your body to replenish your anaerobic energy system during the recovery intervals. This is no place for the faint hearted; it’s the type of exercise if it was easy everyone would be doing it. HIIT maximises your return on investment. If you put in the time and effort, you will be amazed by your “Body transformation”! Yes, up to 3 X more fat burning in much less time. Yes investing just 3 x 20 minute sessions a week can really turn your metabolism into a fat incinerating weapon, I’m serious!
The key element of HIIT that makes it different from other forms of interval training is that the high intensity intervals involve maximum effort, not simply working a tad harder. There are many different approaches to HIIT, each involving different numbers of high and low intensity intervals, different levels of intensity during the low intensity intervals, different lengths of time for each interval, and different numbers of training sessions per week.
General HIIT Rules:
HIIT is designed for people who are chasing fat loss, weight loss, cardio vascular fitness improvements (less huffing and puffing doing daily tasks), and maximising their reward for investment in time spent exercising all whilst maintaining the muscle mass they already have. Yes this is the tight, toned and yummy mummy look, and the bigger bolder, and buffer men!
Because HIIT is physically challenging, it’s critical to gradually build up your training program so that you don’t overdo it, injure yourself, burn out and lose your mo-jo.
Benefits of High Intensity Interval Training!
It will cut the amount of time you are required to workout each week down, and maximise your fat loss, yeas again, up to 3X more fat loss, did it ell you that?
It will help you maintain lean muscle mass to give you a more toned appearance for the girls and for the boys will help increase muscle bulk and performance (the difference here is because of the different levels of testosterone and growth hormones in men and women)!
It will increase your aerobic and anaerobic capacities! That is make you fitter, faster, and able to recover quicker! There is nothing like feeling great, performing brilliantly, and looking amazing is there?
Did I mention turn your body into a fat burning machine!
So you want even more HIIT magic:
So what is it about HIIT cardio training that kicks body fat to the kerb?
There are actually several reasons, but perhaps most important involves its effect on your stalled, sluggish, metabolism:
A 1996 study from Baylor College of Medicine (Houston) reported that subjects who performed a HIIT workout on a stationary cycle burned significantly more calories during the 24 hours following the workout than those who cycled at a moderate, steady-state intensity due to a rise in resting metabolism.
Why? Since HIIT is tougher on the body, it requires more energy (calories) to repair itself afterward. Studies have found that test subjects in a HIIT program also burned nearly 100 more calories per day during the 24 hours after exercise. And even more great news, a study presented by Florida State University (Tallahassee) researchers at the 2007 Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) reported that subjects who performed HIIT cardio burned almost 10% more calories during the 24 hours following exercise than a steady-state group, despite the fact that the total calories burned during each workout were the same.
So lest re-cap for you:
- If you want to optimise your fat loss
- Drop weight and feel awesome
- Incinerate stubborn belly fat
- Maintain your precious lean muscle mass (the fat burning furnaces)
- And maximise your time HIIT is for you, what have you to lose?
Now you can burn body fat 3 X Faster, in half the time, guaranteed!
Are you ready to change your life forever?